A Technical Guide to Convert OST File to PST Format
Online Storage Table (OST) and Personal Storage Table (PST) are two files used in Microsoft Outlook. The basic difference between OST and PST file is that OST files are used when you have Exchange account and wish to work offline. However, the PST files are used when you have account on MS Outlook and wish to generate a file for backup of your data.
Need To Convert Microsoft OST File to PST Format
- Preserves the Data Loss: Due to virus attacks, power failure, server failure, etc. if the OST file data gets lost or corrupted. Therefore, to prevent data loss we need to keep a copy of OST file in form of PST that will contain identical data as of OST.
- Access OST in MS Outlook: At the time, when user requires their OST file on MS Outlook then they will have to export the file into Microsoft PST.
- Backup Exchange OST File: Since you know that OST is the replica of data stored on Exchange server hence, to back up the data of your exchange account you need to convert the Microsoft Outlook OST file.
- Makes OST File Portable: Suppose user needs to access their OST file on some other system using MS Outlook then, he/she has to transform OST file into PST
Solution to Convert OST to Outlook PST
In the above section, we discussed about the need for converting outlook OST file. Now the question arises how to convert OST file to PST file? Well we have following two measures to deal with this trouble:
- Manual Procedure: The method enables you to export the OST files into PST by performing following procedure:
Note: The procedure will only work if you are connected with Exchange Server.
- Open Microsoft Outlook application on your system.
- Click on File tab and select Open on menu that is displayed
- On the wizard, Select Import >> Import from another program or file and then click on Next.
- Now on Import a File window, select Outlook Data File(.pst)
- Now a window will appear in which you have the OST file to be exported.
- Select the folder to import and check the box if you want to export sub folders also.
- Select the PST file in which you want to import the items and then click on Finish.
Limitations of Manual Procedure
- Time Consuming Procedure: For large sized file, the procedure will take a large amount of time for conversion leading to an irritating situation for users.
- Require Server Connection: The procedure requires Exchange server connection to be active without that the procedure will not work.
- Does not support Corrupt OST: The OST files that are damaged or corrupted will not be converted into PST using this procedure
- Alternative Procedure: The procedure involves using of third party application, which is designed with the aim of initiating such product that converts exchange outlook ost file. One such solution is OST Recovery Tool. The solution overcomes the limitations of manual procedure by providing an effective feature i.e. Microsoft OST Converter which converts all the OST file into PST within just few steps. It does not have any file size limit; installation of MS Outlook is optional and maintains the data integrity after the conversion too.
Hence, we conclude with the fact that it is not compatible to convert the OST files into PST, manually. Therefore, using software that works like Microsoft OST File Converter are more reliable for dealing with such issues.