Know the Importance of Outlook / Exchange OST File
Know The Importance of OST File During Disconnection of Server
OST stands for Offline Storage Table. The OST file is a local copy of user’s Mailbox on Exchange Server which is used to store the offline work and when Outlook turns online all the stored information is automatically delivered to the respective client.
How OST Files Works?
When user is working in offline mode, Outlook creates an exact replica of users Mailbox data on Exchange Server with .ost file extension. This file is saved on your local machine named as OST file.
The OST file enables the user to work offline in environment with limited or unreliable network and automatically synchronize all the changes with Exchange Server when it comes online.
Know the Importance of OST File
You can read following points to know the importance of OST file.
- The main advantage of an OST file is that there is no change of losing your work irrespective of the connection of the Exchange Server. You can keep your work secure and safe whether the Exchange Server is connected or not.
- The OST file offers you to work offline in Server downtime situation.
- OST file also acts as a backup of your Mailbox data present in Exchange Server. In case, your mailbox is accidently deleted then you can back up of your important emails by using OST file.
Location of OST file
For MS Outlook 2010, the Outlook data files are stored at C:\Users\test\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. However, default location of OST file can be vary in accordance to the version of MS Outlook
You can follow below mention steps to find the location of your OST file.
For MS Outlook 2010
- Click on File and then Select Info tab
- Click on accounts setting and again click on accounts setting
- Account Setting window will appear , select your Outlook Account and then Click on Change
- Change account window will appear on your Screen, now Click on More Settings
- Microsoft Exchange window will appear, Click on Advance tab.
- Click on Outlook Data File Settings.
It will show you the OST file location. There is also a Compact Now option which allows you to reduce the size of your OST file.
For MS Outlook 2003 or Below Version
- Click on tools menu and then select E-mail Accounts
- Click on View or Change Existing Email Accounts and then click on Next
- Click on Microsoft Exchange Server and then click on Change
- Click on More Settings and then click on Advance tab
- Now Click on Offline Folder File Settings and it will show you the location of OST file.
Corruption of OST file
Sometimes your OST file can become corrupted due to following Hardware or Software reasons. Following are some reasons which can lead corruption of an OST file.
- If some sector of your HDD is damaged and your OST file is stored on these sectors.
- If there is any problem in Routers, hubs, cables etc. and the network connection fails due to these problems.
- If the power Failure occurs while you are synchronizing or accessing the OST files.
- Your OST files can get corrupted due to some virus intrusion.
- When MS Outlook is closed abnormally while opening, synchronizing or accessing, the OST file.
- If there is any synchronization error between the Exchange Server and the offline folders.
OST File Helps to Recover Emails in the Following Situation:
- Suppose your Mailbox was deleted intentionally or accidently and now, you want to access the emails of that Mailbox. Since the Mailbox is deleted so you cannot open the OST file with the same Mailbox account. However you can convert your OST emails to PST or any other file format by using OST Recovery and then access the emails in MS Outlook.
- If there is a corruption in your OST file and it became inaccessible. Then there is a need to recover the corrupt OST file.
OST Recovery is a utility which is developed to recover inaccessible and corrupted OST file. The Software scans the corrupted OST file and converts the OST file into PST/EML/MSG format. The Software recovers and repairs all items associated with the OST file without any file size limitation. In addition it also gives you options to apply Date Range filters and split the exported PST.